HSK 07-2018

HSK 07-2018

My friends always organized an annual meeting at the beginning of the year to plan various
road trips to go fishing.
The idea of matching schedules to eventually find common ground seemed nice but alas more
often then not when a date was due nothing tended to be organized.
So it happened that at one club meeting just prior to a planned trip my friend Wiebe and I were the
only ones present at the meeting … the rest … no word from them.
Wiebe asked me if I had heard anything from them about the planning but no … nothing was clear.

One of the destinations discussed was the Wenne river and as I knew that it was a mighty popular spot
I remarked to Wiebe that it would be prudent to take immediate action.
I contacted the local hotel and as expected the place had no vacancies left.
The options given were to go one week earlier or one day later than the planned date.

I discussed the situation with Wiebe and made a reservation for the day later under the condition
that I could get time off from work.
I received the go ahead from my manager so the road trip was a fact.
We would leave for our destination on a very hot and sunny Saturday afternoon.
The river was at the lowest level of the year but we knew that it would still be a worthwhile place to visit.
We arrived at the hotel around dinner time and after a meal we went to the river to check out the
fish.  Just was expected the fish were rising aggressively so al signs were green for the first fishing day.

On Sunday after breakfast we went both our ways and had an excellent time on the river fishing
with dry flies, nymphs and streamers.
The pools that held fish on previous visits did not disappoint.
Most fish were brown trout but I also managed a quite decent rainbow trout and as bonus sometimes a grayling.
Our hotel “Landgasthof Seemer”  was perfectly located on the river and our port of call during the midday break
when we had lunch in the beer garden (in waders).
After a short midday fishing session we would again hit the beer garden for dinner and then fish
until sunset to get the most out of the evening rise.

Monday was the last day of the trip and as the catering staff of the hotel was off duty on Mondays and Tuesdays
the only thing served to us was breakfast.
Our plan was to fish until 17:00 hours in the afternoon and then hit the local Pizzeria to end our fishing trip in style.
The weather was hot and with no clouds in the sky the river turned into a public swimming pool for the kids of the village.
Luckily we could still find some solitude and fish to make it all worthwhile.
A bonus was the steady breeze that at least kept the temperature down when you were wading in the river.
The midday session was slow as the insect activity was minimal probably because of the strong wind but at least some fish came to the net.
We assembled at the designated time and packed in our gear to head to Toni’s Pizzeria were we had a good meal before heading home.
It was a short trip but all in all a very good one and something we must sure do again this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *